Spicy Sausage Pinwheels

For our Super Bowl get together this year {um, early February already seem like ages ago}, we asked everyone to bring something to share. One of our neighbors brought this amazing sausage crescent roll dish that I seriously could not stop eating. I think the only reason I stopped was because I lost my fork somewhere and didn’t want to dirty a new one.

That got me thinking of a way to make her dish into more a finger food so a fork wouldn’t be required. Spicy Sausage Pinwheels would be the ultimate party food for football games, tailgating or just a regular potluck!

What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb spicy ground Italian sausage
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese {I used fat free}; softened
- 1 tube Pillsbury pizza crust
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Let’s Make It:
1) Cook your sausage in a skillet stirring with a spoon to crumble. Drain well.
{Hint: I press a paper towel over the sausage after it is done draining to get the excess oil off}.

2) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

3) Mix the sausage and the cream cheese together. Stir well to combine.

4) Roll out the pizza crust and spread the sausage mixture in an even layer on top.

5) Roll the pizza dough up into a log. Slice horizontally into 1-inch slices and place on ungreased baking sheet. {Optional: I wrap my log in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to make it easier to slice.}

6) Sprinkle slices with cheddar cheese. Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-17 minutes.

Tweaks:
- Use crescent rolls and fold mixture up into square to create bite size pieces. Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes.

- Create the original: Layer one can of crescent rolls on the bottom of a square dish. Spoon sausage mixture on top. Top with another can of crescent rolls.

What is your favorite go-to party appetizer?

Let's stay connected...

Enter your Email:

Comments

1. Jess says:

What a cute idea!!
    Jess recently posted…Nice! Thin Mints from WalgreensMy Profile

2. Fawn Weaver says:

Oh yum! I can think of so many things that would be absolutely delish in the middle of those pinrolls.
    Fawn Weaver recently posted…Organizing My Life, Prioritizing My Marriage {& Link Up}My Profile

3. Yummmm!! These look delicious!
    Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling recently posted…Lucky MugsMy Profile

4. This looks absolutely WONDERFUL! I’m pinning this for an upcoming get together!!! Thanks for sharing this!!! =D

5. Looks really yummy!!
    Diana Rambles recently posted…Recycled Car Trash BagMy Profile

6. Morgaine says:

These look so tasty! I”m going to have to try making some! I would love to also invite you to join Totally Tuesday and link up your blog for my first ever link party: http://www.madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/02/totally-tuesday-1-link-party-time.html

7. DIane says:

Yum! These look great and fun to make! Visiting from Chef-in-training! blessings :)

8. Yum! My hubby will love these! I will pin them for later! Thanks!
    Julia Kendrick recently posted…Mommy Makeup: For Busy Moms on the Go…My Profile

9. My husband’s aunt makes these, and they are always the first things to disappear at a family function! So good =)
    Accidentally Wonderful recently posted…Mini Egg RollsMy Profile

10. These look really good. I’d never have thought of cream cheese and sausage…but it sounds like a great combo. Thanks.
    Gail @http://biblelovenotes.com recently posted…“Boring” TestimoniesMy Profile

11. Megan says:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It looks fantastic!
    Megan recently posted…Spring MonogramMy Profile

12. Heather says:

Featured today! Have a great weekend :)
    xo
    Heather recently posted…Feature Friday ~ 6 Recipes to MakeMy Profile

13. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

These look really good!

14. Emily says:

Just found you via Pinterest and I think I will give these a try for a morning tailgate this weekend – look fantastic! thanks!
    Emily recently posted…Candy Corn BuglesMy Profile

15. CrayfishYAY says:

For cutting those things, you can use tooth floss.

16. Looks simple and yummy! Pinned!

Trackbacks

1. […] Spicy Sausage Pinwheels courtesy of Just Us Four […]

2. […] Spanakopita Puffs Spicy Chicken Nachos Queso Dip Bacon Caramelized Onion Dip Buffalo Chicken Cups Spicy Sausage Pinwheels Turkey Pepper Jack Roll Ups Taco Chex Mix Creamy Con Queso Bean Dip Peanut Asian Lettuce […]